Everyone is always looking for the magic elixir of the perfect #hashtags to use on their account to explode their following. We are here to tell you, such magical potions do not exist. However, with a little bit of proper research you can generate hundreds of new tags that are full of exponential potential.
Before we get started, let’s review a few basics!
- Do pair your hashtags with images - images with hashtags boost views and promote additional engagement
- Do not try to replace quality posts with hashtags - hashtags are meant to add to your post, not be your content
- Do group your hashtags at the end - and preferably in the first comment below your post (on Instagram)
- #Don’t #Hashtag #Every #Word or #MakeALongPhraseHardToRead - if you have a hard time reading it, so will everyone else
- Do use trending hashtags that compliment your content - if they connect to what you’re sharing it can be an easy way to gain new followers
- Do not abuse trending hashtags - just because it is trending #1, doesn’t mean you have to or should use it
- Do run hashtag connected campaigns - you can even set up notifications every time someone uses your tag
- Do not use hashtags used by others on personal campaigns/contests - originality is key to making your campaign run smoothly
- Do explore hashtags first - hashtags with no or few related tags may not be as popular or useful
- Do not use incorrect hashtags - if you are planning to reference another person or topic being discussed, don’t guess the hashtag, look it up
Hashtags on Twitter
- Use hashtags on twitter to categorize
- Tweets with hashtags get 2 times more engagement than with tweets without.
- Tweets with 1 or 2 hashtags have 21% higher engagement than those with 3 or more
- Using more than 2 hashtags decreases engagement by an average of 17%
Hashtags on Facebook
Facebook posts WITHOUT hashtags outperform those with hashtags. You are better off not even bothering!
Hashtags on Instagram
Instagram, the opposite of Twitter, shows posts with 11 or more hashtags have the highest interactions! Perhaps just one more reason Instagram is our FAVORITE social platform that has shown us the highest ROI - the investment being only time and practice.
Generate #Hashtag Gold
So what is the secret sauce to finding hashtags that work for you and get your business noticed? We have found them falling into 4 major categories - Niche, Branded, Location and Groups/Community. We know what works for some is just not going to work for others, so instead of giving you a list of 110 amazing hashtags we have built a tool that will help you generate them all on your own. All it takes is your phone, a pen and our #Hashtag Builder Kit that we put together just for you. Inside the kit you will find step-by-step instructions to uncover hashtags related to each of these major areas as well as some additional hashtag dos and don’ts.
Ready to get started? The kit is available in the shop for just $15. Or you can upgrade to our Biz Chic Co-op membership for $22 a month and unlock dozens of worksheets geared to accelerating your small business. Get in depth tools to help you plan blog and social content, make long and short term goals, track progress, and yes, even our secret profitability formula. Check out our plans to get started today.